Open Referral AWS
This is a project for developing Human Services Data Specification (HSDS) implementations that run on the Amazon Web Services platform--this project is entirely managed via its Github repository. This is designed to be a team effort, so if you see a project you'd like to know more about, and maybe one you'd like to tackle, submit an issue!
These are the AWS solutions that are currently being used or considered as part of delivering projects:
- Amazon EC2 - A Linux Amazon EC2 instance that runs Apache, with PHP 5.3 that runs the API.
- Amazon RDS - A MySQL Amazon RDS instance that runs the database behind the API.
- Amazon API Gateway - This isn't currently being used, but I would like to use for delivering an API management layer.
- Amazon Lambda - Just putting this here as a reference for what should come, when we are doing this in a serverless way.
These are tools that are used as across any of the sub-projects included in this project.:
- OpenAPI Specification - An API specification format used to define the request and response model for the API.
- JSON Schema - A vocabulary that allows you to annotate and validate JSON documents.
- HSDS OpenAPI - The OpenAPI definition for the HSDS API, providing a blueprint for the request and response structure.
- HSDS Schema - The schema documentation for HSDS, providing the details of the storage and transmission of data.
- Slim Framework - A micro framework that helps you quickly write simple yet powerful web applications and APIs.
- Jekyll - A simple, blog-aware, static site generator for personal, project, or organization sites.
These are the individual projects that are being built, or considered being built on AWS:
- HSDS PHP API Prototype (Github) - A current set of PHP scripts that is deployed to support the API.
- Developer Portal (PHP Prototype) - A Github Pages hosted Jeykll developer portal developed on top of the HSDS PHP API prototype.
- HSDS Node.js API Prototype - It would be nice to have a server side implementation of the HSDS API in Node.js, that would run on AWS.
- HSDS Ruby API Prototype - It would be nice to have a server side implementation of the HSDS API in Ruby, that would run on AWS.
- HSDS Python API Prototype - It would be nice to have a server side implementation of the HSDS API in Python, that would run on AWS.
- HSDS API (Serverless) - I would like someone to explore with the creation of an HSDS API running using AWS Lambda, and AWS Gateway.
These are the communication channels used as part of this project:
- Github Issues - This is the Github issues for this repository, which is used as issue and discussion management for any HSDS AWS project -- each project will have it's own issues, but this is meant to be the discussion at the top level.
- Open Referral Slack - The Slack Channel for the Open Referral organization.
The goal of this project is to develop code and stories around using HSDS on the AWS platform. Right now we are focusing on a simple server-side API implementation, but will be looking at serverless approaches using Amazon Lamda services, as well as management using Amazon API Gateway.
If you have a suggestion for a project, or want to get involved with any of the existing projects, just ping us on one of the channels above, and we'll see about getting you plugged in.